Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Greg Zeschuk on leaving Bioware - "The fire wasn't there".


Greg Zeschuk made the news this week after an interview on Polygon, explaining some of his reasoning for leaving Bioware, along with Ray Muzyka, whom he spent over 15 to 20 years working with and co-founded the company.

There are excerpts from the interview I personally found interesting.

While the studio, now a subsidiary of EA, thrived, Zeschuk began to feel his passion for gaming wane.

"I just wasn't as into it as I was originally," he said.

"Everything's a factor," Zeschuk tells me. "There's nothing that's not a factor, but there's no single one thing. I think the best way I can describe is: Do the same thing for twenty years and it's very, very intense. It's very high pressure. It's very high stress. It's challenging. It's sometimes rewarding and sometimes it's not. And you just get tired of it after awhile. That is probably the easiest way to for me to describe it. Sometimes you just need to change things.

"One of the few things I find kind of funny is the responses of the fans, because they sort of respond that they are kind of mad at us for leaving because they think we owe them more games. You know it's sad I wish I could deliver on that, but I don't think I would be as good as I was in that space historically. Like I said, the fire wasn't there."

Emphasis mine. Is it me or it's a funny coincidence this happened some time after getting bought by EA ? I know it's a common thing on the Internet to hate EA for everything, but in this case, the "the fire wasn't there" comment really seems to drive that point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment