Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gaming Addiction: What's Your Story ?


Who knows me knows I'm an addicted gamer. Every time someone asks me why I do not play WoW, EVE Online, Guild Wars 2 and other MMOs, I simply have to admit to them that I have an addiction problem.

Last MMO I really got into was FFXI. Probably not the best MMO and that was just fine because it helped me quit it. Before that, I played UO, way back. That is when I realized I spent several months trying to become a master blacksmith, a feat I would have probably mastered in real life... or at least I would have gathered skills that I would still have today. Last one I tried is EVE Online with a free 60 days trial. I almost bought a subscription to bypass the trial restriction. Glad I didn't.

The first few days, I was thinking of what I needed to learn. Browsing the Internet to get info was not the problem. Bringing my laptop to work so I could send in a few actions once in a while was. Soon, I was checking my ship every time no one at work was looking. That is when I had to drop it or I'd probably get fired soon after.

Addicted a day, addicted for life.


While I am a gamer, I found ways to deal with it while restraining myself. One of the major parts of it is repairing consoles for the challenge, sometimes pushing it by experimenting hacks as well. Those are skills that are kept for a lifetime. Now you can throw rocks at me for killing the game industry, but that's not the point. At first, I didn't have any budget for games, so I either let my console die, or I'd get some games' ISO and review them on different sites.  My goals were, and still are, mostly experimental as it led me to find out a lot about consoles themselves. For my soul's sake, I have two PS3s, one untouched, one rebuilt from 2 defective ones. I buy my games, and sometime twice so I can play with my spouse (ie LBP, GTA). There, I could easily use the "I bought the game once, I hacked it for my second console" argument... but I don't.

Those skills though are really helping me out, and eventually others. I barely spend more than 100$ on my consoles because I can't afford the risk of getting a console listed as "broken".  My last risk was with yet another PS3 (I don't even have that much TV home). I expected to pay 50$ for a PS3 Slim with a broken Bluray drive. I planned on using this console to try the hacks that are out there. Well, first thing, I popped an old game... it read it. That debunked the dead drive. It did not read any other BlueRays, movies or games. I wanted to clean it up, unfortunately the security screws are a tad smaller than the "phat" PS3's. So I tried flipping it on the side to make gravity work for me. Maybe, the problem was just hair in front of the laser. Miracle, everything worked flawlessly. Someone just sold a working PS3 for 50$.

So now I'm at 3 PS3 consoles, 1 PS Vita, 2 NDS Lite, 1 Wii with broken video, 1 working Wii (that one I just got for 40$ as well). That is not to mention any first and third party peripherals and accessories.  Do I have enough ? I don't feel like it.

Subscribing to PS Plus helped me get a few games for free every month, is it enough? No. What I like is to compare gameplay mechanics, stories, art style, features, multiplayer experiences... If I could get paid (enough) to play all day, I would. I would play My little Pony just as I would play Halo 4 just to check it out, the gameplay, the inspiration, the maket it targets, how it does on each platform, why it's even a game...

The thing is that games inspire me. Not only the games, but the whole industry. I wanted to tell you about this addiction because I think many of you share it and sharing a passion is always liberating.

So what is your gaming addiction story?

3 comments:

  1. My addiction story will always and forever be EverQuest. I feel like people don't understand when they talk about WoW and how it's addictive. Son, you don't know. EQ was my life, for a while. Me and my then-girlfriend's life, that is. We both were completely absorbed in Norrath. It was, our life. I will always remember, the first time we played. A story I always love to tell. I had bought 2 copies of EQ, one for her and one for me. We both created our characters, Wood Elf (her) and Human (me). My starting zone was West Freeport, hers was Greater Faydark. She was living with her parents at the time, and this being 2001 smartphones weren't really invented yet so to play together we thought we'd talk in-game and figure it out.

    I didn't know anything about MMOs and neither did she. It was our first experience. I didn't know wtf I was doing. I noticed ppl talking in /ooc channel (Out of Character) so I asked if anyone knew how to travel from Freeport to Kelethin (the city she was at). They told me it was a long, long trip. I was hooked, right then and there. They told me I'd have to take a boat, to move to her continent. They said I wouldn't make it as a lvl 3. Then one guy saw me and said "Hey, I know you'll make it. Here, take this" and he gave me a Bastard Sword, which was so so much better than what I had, that I believed it was the greatest weapon in the game. I thanked him profusely, then followed the directions people gave me to take the boat to Faydark.

    Once I got there (I didn't die ! though it was close sometimes...), I started to chat with people around me waiting for the boat. They noticed I was really low-level and asked why I was moving since I was totally fine in Freeport. I told them about my girlfriend and they were all interested and told me numerous tips, one of them being NOT to go to Lesser Faydark. "Whatever you do, Lanarchy, DO NOT go to Lesser Faydark". OK, GOT IT !

    The boat arrives at Butcherblock Mountains, and I continue my adventure. I AM TOTALLY THE GREATEST ADVENTURER EVERQUEST HAS EVER SEEN ! Probably NO ONE has EVER DONE THIS !! La La La La La.... "You Have Entered Lesser Faydark" *Zoning. Please Wait*. Fuck.

    It's dark. I don't see anything in front of me. I hear crows. I should go back. Then BAM, "You Died". Wait, what ? I appear back in West Freeport. I tell people, they say "awwww man, sucks. What killed you ?" Then I asked them where can I find this information, they tell me and I say "Equestrielle the Corrupted". Oh my... people flipped their shit. This was a once-a-year-spawn, a unicorn. Then I received dozens of chat requests, asking WHERE exactly did I die. I didn't know...

    Then a Cleric told me "I'm at your corpse now, do you want me to resurrect you ?" YES !! YES PLEASE ! He did, and my girlfriend was next to him. They found me. I was so happy.

    Then she brought me to her city, the Wood Elf City, Kelethin.

    No one can understand how much I loved EverQuest. I'll only leave you with this video of Kelethin's music. I'll never grow tired of it. This was my home, for so long.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pib1DwGsqE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well AndrĂ©, I’m going to have to contradict you on FFXI, it's one of my favorite game and in my opinion the best MMO out there :) I've played it since the PC North America release! Up until 2 years ago, I could play that game night and day without any break. I was always on it, people ask me to go out and my respond was "I can, I got friends waiting for me on FFXI". I was super addicted to that game. I still have my account activated... I haven’t play in 2 months.

    In the past, I remember play FFIV (FFII in North America) up until 6am, go to sleep, wake up at 7am by my brothers that pick up the controller, take the controller away from them to continue playing.

    And.... I can't pass the addiction subject without speaking of Diablo. The first online game I played. One night, I look at the clock; it was 10pm, in my mind I went "Oh I got 1 more hour of play". Then a few moment later, my dad got up, came to me and said "Kalie, why are you still up?” I told him I got 1 more hour of play; I’ll be in bed by 11pm. I remember the look in his face when he told me "Kalie... its 5am in the morning". I didn't see the time pass...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first addiction was probably the BBS games Legend of the Red Dragon (now remade into a internet-era game: Legend of the Green Dragon, http://www.lotgd.net). Hopefully for me I'm not an all-out gaming addict, I get hooked mostly on adventure, some RPG and turn-based strategy games; mostly the later which is a dying genre. Like you I also try to deal with it by avoiding it altogether, if I don't start, I won't have a hard time stopping :P. My next challenge will probably be when the new X-Com drops under 10$ on Steam ;)

    ReplyDelete