Monday, September 24, 2012

Digital Distribution : Welcome to the Jungle


Arguments on digital distribution are raining from every side. For or against, I want to offer a deep look into the subject. Since policies greatly vary from a platform to another, the bitter gamers tend to only focus on the bad of each ones. I'll be covering the way those policies can be viewed as an advantage or a hindrance depending on the platform.

They do share a common characteristic : You can't sell or lend your games to someone else unless you give them your full account and start a new one of your own.

In this series of articles, I'll be covering major digital distributors :

On PC/MAC :

Steam
Onlive
Humble Bundles

On consoles : 

PSN
Xbox Live
Nintendo Shops (Wii and DS)

On mobile :

Play Store (Android)
Windows Phone Market
App Store (iOS)
App World (BlackBerry)
Playstation Mobile (Coming Oct 3rd)

Feel free to give your bitter/sweet experience(s) with digital distribution and ask for other distributors to cover. Every platform will have its own post and will be coming on a regular basis for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have a post myself about DLC and Digital Distribution, but you know what I really dislike ? Rumors of publishers intentionally cutting parts of a game IN development, for DLC purposes later. If it's false, well now we're giving them ideas. If it's true... oh man. Plus, how can we know if some of the DLCs we're getting weren't cut from the game ?

    I hate this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know! That's great as I won't cover DLC and extra content.

    ReplyDelete