Wednesday, September 19, 2012

BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk announce retirement


I am going to start my first post with a bang. Bioware founders and public figures Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk leaving the company.

I am SO tired of this current trend in the industry, great gaming legends like Bioware selling their soul to the devil (here EA) for money. Guys, before you tell me, I know all about the fact companies need to make money and their employees need a roof and food on the table. I know the stock market makes it so they need to do more money than the last year or they end up with shareholders dropping them, starting a failcascade few can recover from. I know this.

But was Bioware really that much in need of funding ? For SWTOR, no doubt they needed some, as it currently stands, if I'm not mistaken, as the most expensive game ever made. The usual number going around the Internet is between 150 and 200 million dollars. I am not one to talk out of my ass so I don't know exactly if the EA merger was done because they needed funding for SWTOR or if it was for another reason completely. Wikipedia says the EA/Bioware merger was announced on October 11, 2007, while SWTOR itself was announced on October 21, 2008, although BioWare had first mentioned an unspecified new collaboration with LucasArts in October the previous year. So October 2007. Same month the merger happened. Interesting.

Games nowadays are massive productions and cost tons of money to make, I know and understand that. But is it really worth it to sell yourselves to a publisher like EA when we end up with today's news ? Mr Muzyka and Mr Zeschuk were legends of the industry, two guys I personally put in the same group as the Miyamoto, Sakaguchi, Inafune, Kojima, Wright and Meier of this world. And now, they're gone.

I believe this picture tells it all. It is awfully accurate today.




No comments:

Post a Comment