Sunday, September 30, 2012

Digital Distribution : At the end of the longest line. Wii Shop, DSi Shop

Nintendo uses different Shops for the Wii and DSi systems. They are respectively called Wii Shop and DSi shop. They are replaced with eShop for the 3DS and Wii U and I'll try to cover them as soon as possible. This will only focus on Wii and DSi. 

Nintendo All rights reseved

It offers plenty of content for both consoles. Distributed in a standard format, download the full game and play. If you own a Nintendo console, you know you don't have user profiles. It's a family console made for everyone to pick up and enjoy.

Nintendo All rights reservedNintendo All rights reserved


The Pros :

For the whole family :
You don't have to bother who bought what, once the content has been downloaded and installed, it becomes available to all. Since there are no profiles, it's kind of normal.

Market exclusives :
Nintendo took care of making sure that the content available on their shops is not the same content as in retail stores. It's either retro games from Nintendo and non Nintendo consoles, called the Virtual Console, or games developed specifically for the console called WiiWare/DSiWare.

The Cons :

Content is console-bound :
It is clear in Nintendo's End User License Agreement (EULA) that purchased content can only be used on the same console the transaction was made on. Too bad if you have multiple consoles, you cannot claim your games on both of them.
Money (or points), is also console-bound: if you bought or received a nice point cards and are planning on dividing it between two Wiis or even your Wii and DSi... you are also out of luck. Claiming your points can only be done on one market. So if you'd like to sell your digital content, you can't just sell your account, you'll have to sell your console and buy a new one.

Great risks in losing content :
Nintendo offered a tool to transfer your games from a DSi to a 3DS. I believe we will probably see a similar service for the Wii U. But let's say you lost your console or theft... you will have to buy it all over again. In fact, if you broke your console, Nintendo might be able to transfer content if you send both the old and new console, but there's no guarantee they'll be able to do it.  And if you just upgraded, let's say from a DSi to DSiXL, they won't help you out on that. The new eShop however (on the 3DS) will let you re-download content bound to your Nintendo user. But we will cover this later.

Conclusion :

While the current shop has some issues regarding multiple consoles and users altogether, Nintendo is patching this with their new eShop for the 3DS and Wii U. That will be covered in a few days.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big Nintendo fan, but that is probably the dumbest implementation of DRM in the history of DRM. As long as Nintendo stays with something system-bound and not account-bound (unless they offer an easy and unconditional way to transfer content), I will never purchase anything from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't any downloadable content on the DS. So when I switched from my DS to a DSI that was a non-issue and I didn't have any trouble sending my stuff from my dsi to my 3ds since Nintendo made an app allowing me to transfer my dsiware. I wouldn't be surprised if they would make the same kind of app for transfering games from the WII to the Wii U.

    Also, my 3ds is bound to a Nintendo club account so if I ever lose my 3ds and I buy another one. I'll get to download all my games again and it will be the same for the Wii U.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, I made some corrections and specifications to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Zenthar, it would be so much better to have a Nintendo Account and be able to get all your content back on another console. But that's so obvious, I know.

    ReplyDelete