Thursday, December 20, 2012

WoW Vs Half-Life 2: An Opinion On VGA's Game Of The Decade - Clash Of The Titans



As you are probably aware, this year's VGA (Video Game Awards) crowned Half-Life 2 as the Game of the Decade. I disagree, and I will give my opinion about why.

Personally, I believe something as big as "Game Of the Decade" has some meaning behind it. It kind of makes you think "most influential" in some way, doesn't it ? To me, if you start talking about the whole decade, I will have thoughts going towards what had the biggest impact in gaming. In that sense, I do not believe anything else comes close to World of Warcraft.

Do you remember the first time you played ? Starting in Elwynn Forest, Dun Morogh, Teldrassil, Durotar or Tirisfal Glades. That first feeling of, this... this is just amazing. Then your first instance. Deadmines for many of us. Your time spent with guildies or friends, leveling all up to 60. The mount quests for Paladins and Warlock. The AQ event. Molten Core, Blackwing Lair. How can you compare HL2 to those ?

I am not saying HL2 did not have an impact on the gaming industry, quite the opposite. Half-Life in itself is one of the most influential games of all-time. I would say though that HL1 had more of an impact than HL2. Still, I will give HL2 credit for making Steam the powerhouse it is today, and the Source engine bringing us games like TF2, Portal, L4D, CS:GO and many others. It also brought physics to an unprecedented level, and to this day, probably the most anticipated game of all-time is Half-Life 3. Just the thought of Valve announcing HL3 boggles my mind.

But World of Warcraft ? I mean, seriously ? How can this NOT be the biggest game of the decade ? Your mom probably knows what WoW is at this point ! It has had millions of players for over 8 years, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. HL2 for all we know, is dead. Episode 3 hasn't been in the news lately...

The raids, the community, the music, the zones, the quests, the times you spent with your guilds, the PvP. All of those, for me, make WoW the undeniable Game of the Decade. Remember, deep in your thoughts you know it. Remember.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, I mean WoW is not the game it used to be, but nothing will beat the feeling I had the first I started in Elwynn Forest or when I saw my first horde watching each other to see who will start fighting! WoW will stay in my heart forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with the arguments!

    You mentioned the feelings felt playing the game - I've played a few games where I felt in love, I would watch the trees and the sky and the creatures and listen to the music, I didn't want to do anything else than play the game, I felt that it was perfect, then the story or game mechanics were severely lacking and I stopped playing. I'm not saying WoW has bad mechanics or story, but "that feeling when you start the game" is a little weak of an argument, I thought. :)

    I don't know about number of players, either. We wouldn't need any such "x of the year" if we just looked at sales - one quick stop on wikipedia would tell you the X of the year for the Grammies and the Oscars before it starts airing. That, and people eat more big macs than they eat filet mignon in restaurants, and big macs certainly aren't "better". And HL2 is dead because of its non-MMO format - the only for it to be still alive right now would be several years of DLC, which sounds like a great way to ruin the game.

    That being said, I can't suggest another GOTD... I think 90% of the decision should be on the "most influential" part. Perhaps it could be WoW indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree.

    No matter how much you love or loathe the game, it has defined gaming like the Legend of Zelda or King's quest have in their time.

    ReplyDelete